Sunday, October 24, 2004

Disgusting display of corporate media control
Via Jerome Armstrong of MyDD, check out the story of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. The editorial board apparently voted 5-2 to endorse John Kerry, a reversal of their 2000 endorsement of George W. Bush, but they are being overruled by the publisher. Armstrong seems concerned largely with the impact on Ohio, a key swing state that Kerry desparately needs to win this election. I'd guess that not one person in ten reads the staff editorials at major newspapers. I certainly don't, and I once wrote a slew of them for my college newspaper.

No, what scares me is the idea that honest journalists can be kicked around like this and there's nothing they can do about it. It makes you wonder what other kinds of influence the publishers have on the content of the news and editorials.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home