Monday, July 12, 2004

Look Ma, No Substance!
I wandered over to the Kerry-Edwards web site today, and couldn't help but guffaw at their new TV spot. It begins with a whitewash of their careers ("One is the son of a millworker..." and so forth) and then heads straight for fuzzy and oblique references to unnamed "plans."

"Today they're a new team for America," a voice intones, "with a plan to make us stronger at home and respected abroad."

No mention of what that plan might be, or how it differs from George W. Bush's plan. After all, no one could possibly be for a weaker America at home and less respect abroad, could they? [Editor's note: review Rumsfeld transcripts before publishing that statement.] I've tried to put myself in the shoes of a swing voter to imagine how such an ad might possibly sway me one way or the other, but I've come up empty. Bush's ads -- the ones that focus on his own crummy administration, anyway -- are no different. Strong leadership, optimism, blah, blah, blah.

30 seconds is not, I'll admit, a very long time. But would a little substance kill these guys?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home